Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 29, 2024, 10:38:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: COM/SOS mining missions vs. SuperNova  (Read 11809 times)
kurama
Private

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2016, 10:12:48 AM »

i would be glad if COM or SOS mining pick-ups would only point towards stars/planets that are stable.
It will eliminate the worries and trouble on searching for the deposits that might appear on stars at unstable/critical status.

but if the star went critical before the mission be located or activated the problem is on the player's part of not going for the mission the earliest possible time.

also if the star went boom! there should be an auto deletion of the COM/SOS mission stored in our cargo if so also a log data or message that our mission has been lost. these saves the trouble of trashing the COM/SOS data from our cargo bays.

If this changes is not possible then why not picked-up mining expeditions be picked up on the same quadrant where they point at to be located.
,does this sound too easy for the players? no?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:21:46 AM by kurama » Report to moderator   Logged
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 03:48:11 PM »

i would be glad if COM or SOS mining pick-ups would only point towards stars/planets that are stable.
It will eliminate the worries and trouble on searching for the deposits that might appear on stars at unstable/critical status.

but if the star went critical before the mission be located or activated the problem is on the player's part of not going for the mission the earliest possible time.

also if the star went boom! there should be an auto deletion of the COM/SOS mission stored in our cargo if so also a log data or message that our mission has been lost. these saves the trouble of trashing the COM/SOS data from our cargo bays.

If this changes is not possible then why not picked-up mining expeditions be picked up on the same quadrant where they point at to be located.
,does this sound too easy for the players? no?

I agree. I bolded the part which is more subtle but still important. I keep large stockpiles of prospector missions. Why? Because even smaller ones might be worth it if they're all concentrated in one area. And I often can only do X sites.
Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 09:38:11 PM »

and the Empires infusers are available for rent.
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 01:12:24 PM »

Keep the system as-is, but it NEEDS to be tweaked. I mine a lot, so I should have some ground to stand on. I can't say for sure what needs to be changed, but it'd be helpful if there was a way to know when a mission is dead and also to gauge how long a mission has before it's dead. And beyond that, prospector missions should also show the projected worth of the deposit when we talk to the person(s) in cargo, not just the location and the planet type.

So:
1) A way to know when a prospector mission is dead
2) A way to estimate how long a missions has before it's dead
3) More information--inc deposit worth--when talking to the prospectors in cargo

I'd also like to see barren planets either removed from prospector missions or adjusted so that the size of the planet (and maybe the star) is known. If the size is known, I can limit my search and make it less tedious. As it's, last I checked, there're too many barren planets in any quadrant to make it worthwhile unless it's a huge deposit. And that's combined with the fact they tend to be smaller--with fewer slots. Fewer slots is like trying to satiate thirst by drinking from a dripping tap.

Has anyone been doing barren? I stopped a long time ago.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 01:47:42 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
Other_Bartel
Private First Class

Jazz Hands

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 03:24:38 PM »

It would be nice if there was only one thread about people's complaints about supernovas.

Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 11:37:40 PM »

Get Sir Emi to add a moderator to the forum to organize all the posts, if it's so important to you.

I just came away from a dead 55 million solar deposit. It was only 4 days old. That's why I posted. But it wasn't hte first time I've had a dead miniing mission. I can't remember one which was so short-lived though and also so high.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 11:46:13 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

Other_Bartel
Private First Class

Jazz Hands

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 08:49:13 AM »

I understand your concern, however, this is not the first time this topic has been addressed on the forums, and you have posted about this issue in more than one thread.

Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 04:39:14 PM »

I understand your concern, however, this is not the first time this topic has been addressed on the forums, and you have posted about this issue in more than one thread.
I looked in the suggestions forum and was uanble to find a thread which addressed this particular issue. And the other threads are in the bugs section. This particular issue isn't a bug though. Are you aware of Sir Emi coming out and saying this is a bug? So I posted in this thread to add my "suggestions", since that's where they belong.

I'm sorry the suggestions I offered were not more explicit. I'm not a game designer. The other thoughts I offered were related to other mining topics, so I'm sorry I brought those up. And sorry for getting angry at you.

Also I think I agree with the OP's proposal(s)--like the prospector missions only point at stable stars. However, the problem is still that different stars age at different rates, creating problems which could crop up now and then. For example, the giant stars don't last very long and can go critical unexpectedly. I saw one go nova very early, for instance. It'd be nice if we had a way to guess-estimate its time to nova. It doesn't have to be a direct measure of its stability.

I wonder if the mission informing us the star type would be too much?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:47:59 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

TEDDY
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 07:48:05 PM »

Hi Antilak, you want a mission that you can be 100% sure it will trigger? This is how:

1. Clear all pods in a quadrant. Coms and SOS.
2. Collect respawned pods.
3. You have exactly the amount of time until the next update to be 100% sure the newly spawned mission will trigger. After every stability update your chances get smaller.

Floating old prospector missions that have been talked to days ago are old...you want to be the first to talk to the NPC.
 I am not saying that you should run off with one mission in your hand, but I do advise to edit the prospector mission entry in your Navcomp adding the "pick up date" and if you KNOW 100% the respawn age of the mission or not. After a week if you didn't have time to do the hunt, don't even bother and just let the NPCs exit at sol. And, a 55M mission? ...don't wait 4 days, just go find it right away. 1

It's not about what could be, or what should be...it's about what is, and what can be done with what you got. I belive that the location of the mission is set after any player talkes to the NPCs for the first time. That means, missions can get really old and still float out there even though the system blew up 3 weeks ago.

Anyway, With this method you can pick up 5-10 freshly spawned missions daily...and you will be surprised, even after a week of carrying those around 90% will still trigger. Mission spawning time is 23min after every full hour. Stop cherry picking, cherry picking SOS pods is most inefficient, spawn your own. 1
Hope this helps.
Peace 1

Duh!!
Choose peace!
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 01:40:41 AM »

Teddy I don't think you can accept a mission which has already blown up, if you're implying that.

Her'es my source:
http://forum.astro-galaxy.com/index.php/topic,9310.msg77295.html#msg77295

Again, it is impossible to collect a mission if the system has previously gone nova. If you try you get a message about exploiting a bug.

I think what you're saying is a fresh mission is more stable, so a player should aim for those.

NOTE: I think I'm on the heels of another dead prospector mission. I got this one yesterday. And I"m just now in a system which is "imminent" and it disappeared after clicking on system. I hope that wasn't the one happy 2 more stars...

EDIT: Funnily enough the very last gas giant had the deposit. I must have checked ~15 gas giants. I was certain it was dead. Goes to show you never know for sure. It helps I had already given up hope.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 03:07:34 AM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

TEDDY
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 03:19:09 AM »

I would say that that error notification is only for COM pods leading to a system that went nova. I never found a SOS pod that gives that notification. Tell me if you find one. 1

We are talking about prospector missions, right, say your jumping around and you talk to a SOS pods with a prospector. Yuck, 2.4M barren...so you let it float. Now, the location is set, the system was chosen randomly by the game, and if I talk to them the next day, or you do, nothing changed. Still the same planet, the same treasure size, and I would bet, the same location.

Therefor, until stability update the only prospector missions you can be certain that trigger are not the ones you just found, they are the ones that spawned after the last stability update. See my point?

But please PM me if you get that error notification talking to an SOS pod. 1

Duh!!
Choose peace!
dkuhnkc
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 10:38:36 AM »

I would say that that error notification is only for COM pods leading to a system that went nova. I never found a SOS pod that gives that notification. Tell me if you find one. 1

We are talking about prospector missions, right, say your jumping around and you talk to a SOS pods with a prospector. Yuck, 2.4M barren...so you let it float. Now, the location is set, the system was chosen randomly by the game, and if I talk to them the next day, or you do, nothing changed. Still the same planet, the same treasure size, and I would bet, the same location.

Therefor, until stability update the only prospector missions you can be certain that trigger are not the ones you just found, they are the ones that spawned after the last stability update. See my point?

But please PM me if you get that error notification talking to an SOS pod. 1

I have found a SOS prospector mission with the error message, as has at least one other senator. (IIRC, nobrain) prospector mission locatons are set at time of creation, not when someone first talks to them.

There is a fairly easy fix for the error, change the update order. currently, it checks for active signals, than it nova's stars. reverse that order, all it would take is a shift in location of code, not any change in code.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:07:25 PM by dkuhnkc » Report to moderator   Logged
TEDDY
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 01:55:39 PM »

Well, with your explanation my logic still works 1
If they get talked too and float, or if they just float, either way... they are old.

I never found an error on a SOS pod. And I pick up a LOT of SOS pods every day. I mark the missions on my Navcomp that come from cherry picking to be able to recognize them later from the missions I get from quadrant clearing. Because I KNOW that the ones from quadrant clearing, that just spawned, WILL trigger, and those from cherry picking I often can't find. I have been watching this since months now. And you know how many missions i consume. 1
I will continue to prioritize the missions that I know just spawned because I actually trigger 99% of them, while those that I find floating around very often don't.

Duh!!
Choose peace!
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: