Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 09:35:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Building Ships  (Read 8898 times)
CaptainJones
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2016, 01:05:12 PM »

Is SOL the only place ships can be built? Are there other systems that have bases that can build ships? Are there modules and stations that can build ships? I am finding it very difficult to get too far from Sol, mostly because my bases and mining facilities keep getting destroyed. I'm trying to find away to set up a new HQ far away--but I really can't, since I have to come back to Sol to make ships and stations.
Report to moderator   Logged
Other_Bartel
Private First Class

Jazz Hands

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 02:18:35 PM »

No, Sol is the only place to build ships.  If you don't want you facilities to be attacked you could join a corp.  Sometimes some of the big names deter attacks.

dkuhnkc
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 12:02:50 AM »

sol is the only place that you can buy new ships, but your ships don't have to go to sol to build modules for the ships.

with 5 ships and 83K power, Set up one ship as a freighter (maximum cargo bays, no weapons) . Set up a second ship with all your weapons/shields/armor. One or two ships are unarmed COM timer ships, the last 1-2 ships are unarmed for SOS work and/or mining.

When you finish a COM signal, transfer the loot from a looter COM to your freighter. It then returns to earth with loot, and brings back materials for your COM ship to build or upgrade more weapons and shields. You can also bring back materials to build or upgrade SLB's on the timer, SOS, and mining ships. I have COM ships that haven't been back at earth in many, many months, all materials are shuttled by my freighter, which just keeps working on autopilot.
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 02:31:43 PM »

Is SOL the only place ships can be built? Are there other systems that have bases that can build ships? Are there modules and stations that can build ships? I am finding it very difficult to get too far from Sol, mostly because my bases and mining facilities keep getting destroyed. I'm trying to find away to set up a new HQ far away--but I really can't, since I have to come back to Sol to make ships and stations.
Make SOL your base. Put some science-dedicated ships in orbit--also for manufacturing.

There's no real need for a base, unless you're mining a prospector mission. Is that what you're doing?

Supernovas did make mining harder. I've adapted by using a ship to defend the station/planet. This way if I forget to evacuate, the supernova will only destroy what's on the planet and what's in cargo and the cargo modules. What's on hte ship is protected, including all of the combat modules. And another reason to do it is ships receive a large power bonus, I think. I've also put some Solar Infusers on it to (hopefully) slow the aging of the star (and get some fuel cells too).

The whole "everything on a station or planet is destroyed in the event of supernova or attack by other players" needs to be looked at and considered in context to ships. Ships cannot be destroyed. I don't feel encouraged to build up defenses on stations/planets. For that, either the bonus needs to be much higher, or the modules need to be partially protected.

EDIT: So what you're doing is putting some random miners on planets outside the inner rings and putting stations in orbit and supernovas are destroying them? My advise is to do prospector missions and focus on just one base at a time. For that you need to make a ship suited for SOS missions. Otherwise, if you're putting science labs on planets, don't. Put them on ships and put those ships in Earth orbit. They'll remain protected indefinitely. With the amount of module space on a titan and by researching science labs, you'll find you'll never have enough money to maximize research.

Here's another idea... Make a COM ship and when you're doing it, deploy miners. When the COM is over, collect the miners.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 02:55:20 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 05:43:31 PM »

or send your science ships into deep space where only you can find them...
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 10:36:37 PM »

or send your science ships into deep space where only you can find them...
Is that response to me?

I find just leaving them at Earth is easier. I can only manage a couple ships before my tolerance is broken. I've had this conversation before with someone else. Dependent on research, money, knowledge, tolerance and so on, we play differently. I told that poster maybe someday I'll play like them, but this is the way I play it now.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 10:38:41 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
sargas
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 09:54:17 AM »

No sir, I would have quoted you if my response was directed at you. I meant it for all.
I found my sci ships (at first) were better located (for me) 5LY N of Sol.
Now, however, I have large MK labs on all my ships.
Raptor
Sergeant First Class

Ć’uck it, Scorched Earth it is, SirEmi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 10:28:04 AM »

No sir, I would have quoted you if my response was directed at you. I meant it for all.
I found my sci ships (at first) were better located (for me) 5LY N of Sol.
Now, however, I have large MK labs on all my ships.

It's not the absence of a quote that worries me, but the lack of an edit in your post is disappointing 10
sargas
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 11:47:18 AM »

Oh, crap. Did I forget that again?

(...dagnabbit, I almost forgot it again...

...how else will the readers really know it's me?...)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 12:04:14 PM by sargas » Report to moderator   Logged
dkuhnkc
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 11:55:15 AM »

I have found that for me it made sense to make all my science ships (I have 10) multi-function ships. They are all factory optimized titans with good sized engines, so they double as manufacturing ships and as mining tenders, freighters, and SOS ships.

By the way, I would be surprised if anyone in the top 20 spots had less than 1 million RP's per hour. They would need 10,000 SLB's 1's, but with SLB-C (100) they only need 389 for 1M rp/h. It contines with even higher SLB's. You only need 70 SLB-D or 40 SLB-M for 1M rp/hr.

Roughly 1/3 my income goes to upgrading my SLB's. currently I have some SLB-D's, (500) some SLB-M's (1,000) and some that are in the process of upgrading from D to M. It took me more than a year to reach 1M rp/hr.
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 11:48:13 PM »

I have found that for me it made sense to make all my science ships (I have 10) multi-function ships. They are all factory optimized titans with good sized engines, so they double as manufacturing ships and as mining tenders, freighters, and SOS ships.

By the way, I would be surprised if anyone in the top 20 spots had less than 1 million RP's per hour. They would need 10,000 SLB's 1's, but with SLB-C (100) they only need 389 for 1M rp/h. It contines with even higher SLB's. You only need 70 SLB-D or 40 SLB-M for 1M rp/hr.

Roughly 1/3 my income goes to upgrading my SLB's. currently I have some SLB-D's, (500) some SLB-M's (1,000) and some that are in the process of upgrading from D to M. It took me more than a year to reach 1M rp/hr.
I've been at 400k for some time now. I jumped up from 40k and reached 400k quick, but I find now that I don't need the extra research, since the costs for building modules is so high--except cargo (I use standard).

I think what I"m saying is I feel like my solars income is a bigger limitation.

EDIT: I probably could train my Cargo a lot more. It's not costly. Maybe it's time to do that.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 11:50:22 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: