Astro Galaxy - a realistic space exploration game
  March 28, 2024, 04:23:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Date: Jul 2014  (Read 6274 times)
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2017, 04:13:21 AM »

July 2014 is when I created my character in Astro Galaxy.

I have some random questions.

1) If a ship is inside a hanger (inside another ship), is its cargo vulnerable to capture after a loss in combat?
* Can I put items inside a ship and put that ship in a hanger to "protect" those items?
2) When you initiate a combat, and you have more than 1 ship, what's the battle order? I read the most powerful ship is attacked first, but what happens after that? What happens to your other ship(s), regarding battle order?
3) When I investigate a COM, the difficulty is dependent only on the active ship--and not on ships in hanger or nearby?
4) If a ship has 0 armor and 0 shields, how mcuh damage do I need to do to overwhelm the manpower/hitpoints?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:38:04 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
sargas
First Sergeant

wandering teacher of the bizarre and unusual

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 08:48:03 AM »

1) If a ship is inside a hanger (inside another ship), is its cargo vulnerable to capture after a loss in combat?no
* Can I put items inside a ship and put that ship in a hanger to "protect" those items?yes
2) When a battle stars, and you have more than 1 ship, what's the battle order? I read the most powerful ship is attacked first, but what happens after that? What happens to your other ship(s), regarding battle order?most powerful, then second, then third, etc
3) When I investigate a COM, the difficulty is dependent only on the active ship--and not on ships in hanger or nearby?only active ships (if the nearby ships are in the same orbit, they add to your attack/defense strength
4) If a ship has 0 armor and 0 shields, how mcuh damage do I need to do to overwhelm the manpower/hitpoints?a lot of factors involved in this...  does the enemy employ EMJO's? How powerfuyl is their ship(s)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 08:50:21 AM by sargas » Report to moderator   Logged
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 03:47:28 PM »

1) If a ship is inside a hanger (inside another ship), is its cargo vulnerable to capture after a loss in combat?no
* Can I put items inside a ship and put that ship in a hanger to "protect" those items?yes
2) When a battle stars, and you have more than 1 ship, what's the battle order? I read the most powerful ship is attacked first, but what happens after that? What happens to your other ship(s), regarding battle order?most powerful, then second, then third, etc
3) When I investigate a COM, the difficulty is dependent only on the active ship--and not on ships in hanger or nearby?only active ships (if the nearby ships are in the same orbit, they add to your attack/defense strength
4) If a ship has 0 armor and 0 shields, how mcuh damage do I need to do to overwhelm the manpower/hitpoints?a lot of factors involved in this...  does the enemy employ EMJO's? How powerfuyl is their ship(s)

So if I deploy the ships in my hanger in the nearby orbit before investigating, they'll increase the difficulty of a COM?

Regarding question (2), here're my list of ships:
Ship (1) 5.5 million power
Ship (2) 1.5 million power

My enemy's ships: 1m power, 900k, 750k, 600k, 270k, 190k

Do all the enemy ships first focus on my 5.5m ship and if they defeat it only then they attack my 1.5m ship?
Or does it alternate between them attacking my first and second ship, until they exhaust their weapons or are defeated?

One way or another I'm about to find out I think.

Another question:
1) Do you have a strategy for using "find weakness" with marine modules? I once used it when I first started to defeat someone who I couldn't defeat normally because they had too much shielding. It of course was inefficient because it required so much time to complete. I haven't used it since for that reason.
2) Does anything different happen if a ship doesn't have a FTL or WHG and is defeated in a COM?

EDIT: Thanks for responding.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 05:42:23 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

"Lots of things happen after you die - they just don't involve you." - Louis C.K.
raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 07:07:10 PM »

s = your ships
p = pirate ships

s1 vs p1
s2 vs p2
s1 vs p3
s1 vs p4
s1 vs p5

Surviving ships continue fighting in the second round. The battle system obviously needs improvement.   laugh

1.) No strategy, and I only use it when experimenting. Also, changing the weapon setting doesn't affect overall power, thus won't affect the battle timer as well.
2.) Ship jumps to the safe zone regardless.
Report to moderator   Logged
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 04:18:10 PM »

s = your ships
p = pirate ships

s1 vs p1
s2 vs p2
s1 vs p3
s1 vs p4
s1 vs p5

Surviving ships continue fighting in the second round. The battle system obviously needs improvement.   laugh

1.) No strategy, and I only use it when experimenting. Also, changing the weapon setting doesn't affect overall power, thus won't affect the battle timer as well.
2.) Ship jumps to the safe zone regardless.

Yep you're right that's how hte battle order occurs.

But why should the most powerful ship do EVERYTHING in wave 1 after the other ships have had one round? What if the "most powerful" ship is only a meager 1000 power higher than hte 2nd highest? Seems like a better strategy would be to spread the carnage across multiple ships so one of them isn't overwhelmed, otherwise you're encouraged to put all your eggs in one basket.

For example, if you have one ship, worth 5 million, and 3 ships worth 3.5 million each, it's potentially a risky gamble for your 5 million ship to take on the remaining enemy fleet when it represents only 32% of your total power.

I have another question. If a ship is hit in its shields in wave 1, does this damage carry over to subsequent fights in wave 1, 2 and 3?

That's the one I want answered most because I've had it in the back of my mind for a while.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:46:47 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

raphael
Master Sergeant

Victory is certain.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 08:54:17 PM »

A lot of AG's game mechanics don't make sense, and one of them is the battle order. laugh

I have another question. If a ship is hit in its shields in wave 1, does this damage carry over to subsequent fights in wave 1, 2 and 3?
Yes.

Report to moderator   Logged
Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 02:33:57 PM »

A lot of AG's game mechanics don't make sense, and one of them is the battle order. laugh

Yes.

How does this battle order occur:

My ships: s1 (6m), s2 (3m)
Enemy: 844k, 843k, 670k, 630k, 600k

1st wave:
s1 vs e1
s2 vs e2 (draw)
s1 vs e3
s1 vs e4
2nd wave: (nothing)
3rd wave:
s1 vs e2
s2 vs e5 (draw)

s1 could have handled all of them by itself happy Addition of extra ship made the fight a draw.

Question: So can ships attack only once in wave 3?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 02:38:04 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 05:28:20 PM »

Anyone have an idea how damage affects armor? I've tried using it and whenever it gets damage it seems remarkably flimsy. It seems nearly 50% of my armor was gone after an attack which apparently only did maximum 35% (it actually only showed 23% but 1.6x = 35%).

In another battle I remember the damage was in the area of 700k but it damaged on the order of 1000k armor units. It's almost like damaqe is being treated as scattershot and it's striking vast areas of armor and damaging it signficantly. What I wonder is if this damage is apparently during the battle or only afterward? What I mean is while the battle results might indicate 20% of your armor is gone, the actual damage during a battle might only be 1/2 that, meaning you could take double that damage on the 20% armor you lost.

I'll try to give a clearer example below. Your ship only has 2 protection modules (no shields):
Armor D (125k protection)
Armor D (125k protection)

During battle your ship gets struck by 125k damage. After the battle both your armor modules are 100% damaged. So the battle results indicate they cannot absorb damage, BUT since they only took 125k during the battle, they can still go as high as 250k during teh battle. Whether it's 125k or 250k damage during battle, both battle results will be the same and they'll be 100% damaged.

Armor being so sensitive to damage is one of the reasons it's difficult to ever justify using it except only in rarest circumstances. Maybe I'm wrong somehow? I'm still trying to build a case for using it, but I just haven't got ambitious enough yet. One possiblity I've dreamed up is since armor is counted at 1/2 the power value of advanced, it should mean missions are finished sooner. IF you're obsessive you might gain several hours per fight, resulting in more solars in X time versus if you were using shields. The extra solars MIGHT help to pay for the armor. The other consideration is since many missions use lasers, you can use less modules for teh same protection. However, even if the math somehow added up, you still have to carry around repair materials and repair the armor after each fight (1.5h with officer).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 06:33:43 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

Antilak
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »

I'm currently experimenting with a mothership carrying the primary COM ship. Why is below:
a) protect any loot from players
b) protect any loot if I somehow lose the COM
c) to remove WHG/FTL/Cargo modules so the primary has more slots
d) i'm lazy and it seems to work for me

I think it'd be better if the difficulty of the COM was based on ships marked for inclusion. So if a 13m power ship--marked for inclusion--is in my hangar and my mothership is 2m, the mission is 15m power.

Right now I have to active my primary in the hangar and get the mission then reactivate my motehrship. It works somewhat, but anytime I have several ships things are dicey. I had another setup with about 6 ships and a mothership and what I did was base the mission on my mothership, but that comes with problems.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:59:52 PM by Antilak » Report to moderator   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: